5 Parenting Advice from Scarlet Snow Belo-Kho’s Parents
The other day, I attended a Red RIbbon’s event with my niece. They launched their latest ambassadress for Red Ribbon’s rainbow cake, the adorable little girl- Scarlet Snow Belo Kho.
I’m pretty sure most of the mommies who are frequent in social media have seen her videos and love her. Ever since I saw her first ever commercial during my Belo Baby campaign where her sister told us that “that baby” is special in their heart I already got curious about her.
Besides being undeniably adorable, this little source of happiness to most of us is also smart and witty. That’s the reason why Red Ribbon thinks that she’s the perfect ambassadress for their rainbow cake.
During the Q & A portion at the event, some media friends (especially mommy bloggers) asked some questions to Scarlet Snow’s parents – Dra. Vicky Belo and Hayden Kho.
I would like to share to you some of the things I remembered.
1. LIMIT GADGET TIME – as you all know Scarlet’s IG has a lot of followers and viewers, you might think that she’s exposed to the gadget most of the time. But no, according to her mom they keep it to just an hour a day. They use it to reward her for good behavior at times too. Dra. Belo said that they have noticed that Scarlet shows irritability when exposed to gadget longer so what they do is just limit it.
2. EXPOSE THEM TO VARIOUS ACTIVITIES – Scarlet’s schedule usually includes Mandarin lesson, reading class, piano lesson, swimming, gymnastic, to name a few. She studies in an international school wherein her classmates doesn’t know who she is. Having activities that are interesting to the kid will enhance the skills that they have and introducing new ones will help them to discover hidden talent at the same time. If you have the time, capacity and resources, then I guess this is such a nice idea.
3. LEARN TO SAY NO – As much as we want to always give our kids the things they want, there are times we should say no. I agree with Dra.Vicky that sometimes you’ll feel guilty about it, but doing so will also give them a lesson. We need to be consistent with our rules because it is for their own good.
4. DO NOT SPOIL KIDS – If you have noticed, Scarlet is a little fashionista when they are attending special occasions, but Dra. Vicky said that in a typical day Scarlet wear ordinary clothes at home. They also do not spoil her and make her feel that she’s special.
5. AFFIRM THEM – Dra.Vicky and Doc Hayden are disciplinarian but they said that they make sure to affirm the good behaviors of Scarlet too. Doing this boost the self esteem of a child.
There you go. I think those are nice parenting tips that we could also apply in raising our own kids.
BTW, let’s go back to the Red Ribbon cake. We were all given a whole cake to bring home to our family after the event. Our family loves chocolate, the cake didn’t last long. It was moist and yummy, nakakabitin ang isang cake haha.