5 Things Ren Did at Tobot Save the City Event that Surprised Me
A LITTLE BACKGROUND
Ren loves to build or make kalikot of anything. Until now, he still plays with his wooden blocks that he put together to make a robot design. He loves Legos, Transformers, anything from Bandai and since last year, he was begging us to buy him a Tobot toy.
Every night, he keeps on praying to have money to buy Tobots. Last December, he thought that we will buy him or Santa will give it to him, but unfortunately we did not (I thought that he will forget about this toy). Instead of Tobots, we bought him a toy that Noel and I are more familiar with: Legos, Transformers and Crystal Warriors from Bandai.
He was happy when he received it but I know a little bit disappointed.
A few days ago, we were at SM Makati, he asked me if we could visit the Toy Kingdom store there. Noel and I have no problem bringing him there because we know that he will not throw a tantrum if we will go home empty handed. He just likes to look and play around. He saw this announcement when he visited the Tobot display area.
I didn’t know that he kept the schedule in his mind, because he always reminds me to go to SM MOA on June 13 or 14 to attend this event.
SAVE THE CITY EVENT
Today June 14, we decided to go to SM MOA to give Ren what he always wanted. When we saw the MOA Atrium where the Tobots are on display, Ren’s eyes sparkled and his dad felt that his heart was pumping very fast.
Unfortunately he can’t go inside immediately, I needed to sneak around to buy him one robot so that he will be able to come in. I don’t want him to know that I bought him a toy because there was no special occasion today.
We always tell him that he can only have a new toy if it’s his birthday or when it’s Christmas, para hindi masanay.
There were some activities that they lined up for the kids. I told Ren to participate, not because of the prizes but to just enjoy the day. I was surprised that he showed his competitive attitude.
Here are some of the activities that they did:
1. Obstacle Course– They were divided into 3 groups. The rule of the game was to finish every area. Ren was so attentive while the host is discussing the instructions. He finished the 7 areas first. It was a surprise because usually at school he usually finishes the last in the games and he just don’t care. After he finished everything, he thought that they will give him a prize but unfortunately there was no prize. He was sad but did not threw a tantrum.
A photo posted by Levy Martinez (@iamlevym) on
2. Q & A Portion – After the obstacle course, the host asked the kids to sit down and be attentive to his questions to get a prize. Thinking that the prize is a Tobot, Ren was so into it. He kept on raising his hand even before the host finished his question.
The host was not calling him because he was not following the instructions (he needed to wait for the word Go! before he can raise his hand). When it’s the 4th question came, the boy that the host picked did not give the right answer. He noticed that Ren was so eager so he decided to ask him. Surprisingly Ren gave him the right answer. At school you can barely see him raise his hand. Unfortunately, he was again disappointed that he only got an UNO notebook as a prize.
3. STAGE – The host asked 5 kids to go on stage for a game. When Ren heard it, he immediately fell in line and went to the stage. Ang lakas ng kaba ko, and I’m sure mas malakas ang kaba ni Noel. The host asked the kids one by one their names and age and if they were having fun. When it’s Ren’s turn, he answered his name and age correctly but when the host asked him if he was having fun he honestly said NO!… The host repeated the question, and everyone laughed when he still said No!.. The host then said, are you sure? Ren said Yes!.. E kasi ba naman ang dami na nya ginawa hindi pa rin sya nakakakuha ng Toy kaya sobrang disappointed sya talaga.
What surprised me here was that he volunteered, at school it was unusual for him to volunteer for an activity. It’s either you will call him to do something or else he will just sit and do nothing.
Anyway, the rule of the game was that the kids should say “Tobot Transform!” in a creative way that they know. The first two kids just shouted it in a very normal way. When it was Ren’s turn, this was what he did.
If the winner will be based on uniqueness, Ren will automatically be declared the winner. He was the only one who was sooo confident to do that. But unfortunately, it was based on the audience impact. I’m glad that the audience favored Ren, and HE WON!!! Kaso UNO notebook ulit ang prize 🙁 Ren was again disappointed.
4. RAFFLE– Ren’s patience was really tested during the raffle. He was quiet and attentive during this period. He was waiting for his name to be called. It was only during the raffle that they gave out Tobots. Unfortunately his name wasn’t called. I can feel that Ren was so heartbroken.
5. MEET AND GREET– Ren fell in line patiently during this time. He hates waiting, but I was surprised to see him not fidgety and just followed the line.
Today, I was happy to see that when he is motivated and really wants something he can behave and do everything to get it. All I can see before was a boy who depend on others to get what he want. It worried me that he will not learn to stand up. Yun pala, when he feels that he needs to do something and that nobody will help him, gagawin naman pala nya.
I think my protective mother instinct was also put into a test today. Sometimes, I tend to do things for Ren to make it somehow easier for him, but today I learned to let him go and to do whatever he wants to do and didn’t mind the people around us. Kanina, gustong-gusto ko na ibigay yung laruan kasi nakikita kong malungkot sya, pero napigilan ko kasi may gusto akong ibigay na lesson… I’m proud kasi kinaya ko yang gawin ngayon!
Anyway, this I think was one of the longest articles I’ve done so far, pasensya na kayo kung inantok kayo hahaha. I just wanted to share with you my happiness today.
How about you, what made you happy today?