Why it’s hard to be humble?
In this changing more challenging world, with people being always on the go and most are at the top of their careers, sometimes staying on the ground and being humble is hard to accomplish.
I don’t know if I am humble myself, which is why this lenten season, I want to reflect about this and it’s a good thing that I saw this article to be my guide.
The Seventeen Evidences of a Lack of Humility
By St. Josemaria Escrivá
1. To think that what one says or does is better than what others say or do
2. To always to want to get your own way
3. To argue with stubbornness and bad manners whether you are right or wrong
4. To give your opinion when it has not been requested or when charity does not demand it
5. To look down on another’s point of view
6. Not to look on your gifts and abilities as lent
7. Not to recognize that you are unworthy of all honors and esteem, not even of the earth you walk on and things you possess
8. To use yourself as an example in conversations
9. To speak badly of yourself so that others will think well of you or contradict you
10. To excuse yourself when you are corrected
11. To hide humiliating faults from your spiritual director, so that they will not change the impression they have of you
12. To take pleasure in praise and compliments
13. To be saddened because others are held in higher esteem
14. To refuse to perform inferior tasks
15. To seek to stand out
16. To refer in conversation to your honesty, genius, dexterity, or professional prestige
17. To be ashamed because you lack certain goods
After reading this, I can say that I am guilty of some of it. Now, I realized that sometimes when you want to say something that will affect another persons life, career and total well being then it’s better to tell it to her/him directly and secretly. Don’t announce it to the whole world for hear or see. Some people may look down to this person and will never again redeem his/her career. If you think he/she is not humble enough then spreading it to the whole world will make you boastful yourself even though you claim that you are not.
This lenten season, let us all reflect and check our inner self. Let us all try to be humble and holy even though it’s hard.
what ever happens in life we should always remember to live life to the fullest
I know I have many faults and fall short of the glory of God everyday.. I can always be more humble about myself.. but what I find so hard, is to be humble about my family.. I have been blessed beyond measure.. (When I look around) I truly believe I have a very wonderful kind of marriage that isn’t seen every day.. and a husband & kids who are very special ppl.. How do I be humble when I really feel this way?