Ways to avoid Flu and Colds!
I have just received the latest copy of Reader’s Digest and because of the increasing number of people that were sick and have died because of H1N1 Influenza-A virus (better known as swine flu), they have made an article on how to prevent flu from getting you and your family. Here are some of it.
1. Wash your Hands as often as needed– Many people fail to wash their hands after using public toilet, and every single one of them touches the door handle on the way out. So, after washing your hands, use a paper towel to open the door. You must also wash your hands twice since one hand washing had little effect even when using antibacterial soap.
I know this might make your hands dry due to frequent washing but I think it’s better than have this deadly disease.
2. Get vaccinated – As I’ve said in my previous post prevention is better than cure, so get vaccinated once a year especially during flu season (November – March)
3. Always carry a Hand Sanitizer with you– I already bought one for the entire family, and it is even safe for kids. Although this will not replace the old soap and water but this will surely help to decrease the germs in your hands. And this is great alternative if the closest water supply is kilometers away.
4. Cover up – Don’t forget to cover your mouth with tissue when sneezing and coughing to avoid the spread of bacteria. If you don’t have tissues available, sneeze or cough into your upper sleeve. And then wash your hands as soon as possible.
5. Sit in a Sauna once a week – Why? because an Austrian study published in 1990 found that volunteers who frequently used a sauna had half the rate of colds during the 6 month study period than those who didn’t use a sauna at all. It’s possible that the hot air you inhale kills cold viruses.
6. Eat a container of yogurt every day – A study found out that people who ate 1 cup of yogurt had fewer colds than non-yogurt eaters. Start eating yogurt to build up your immune system.
7. Eat right, sleep right, get exercise– While none of these can prevent the flu outright, they can boost your immune system. You know the drill: plenty of fruits and vegetables, plenty of water and enough sleep.
8. Stay away– If you have the flu, stay home. If you don’t, try to avoid crowds and contact with those are sick. And one last thing: Wash those hands!
Hope these tips can help!
what ever happens in life we should always remember to live life to the fullest!