5 Electrical Safety Tips you should know for your home
Electricity is something that we use every day and frequently take for granted. In the process, it is very easy to forget that it is actually a dangerous and volatile substance. The main risk is getting a high-level electrical shock which can cause burns and even death.
There are in excess of 300 deaths and 4,000 injuries each year in the US, from electricity. That’s why it is so important to adopt the following 5 safety tips at home, they could literally save your life.
- Get It Inspected
The most important first step for any homeowner is to get a safety inspection completed. This will locate any potential risks, such as short circuits, exposed wires, and even pest issues.
An inspection is essential to ensure the electrical wiring in your home is safe. But, an inspection by itself is not good enough, you need to follow up and repair any issues that are found.
Every circuit in your home is rated for maximum power. It doesn’t matter if you have a ring circuit or a radial, there will be a maximum load. If you plug in too many items into one socket and then have them all on, it is likely to overload the circuit.
Of course, this may cause your fuse to trip. But, it may also create heat in the wiring, which could result in a fire.
If you have children it is essential to protect them from potential harm and their own curiosity. Any socket which can be reached by your child should have a safety cover on it. This will prevent them from putting fingers or other objects in the socket and getting a nasty shock.
- Water Doesn’t Play With Electricity
You probably already know that mixing electricity with water is a big no. The electricity can flow through the water and electrocute you or anyone else within range. This is why electricians will never position an electrical outlet near a water faucet.
However, the same thing can occur if you switch a light on or put a pug in with wet hands, make sure you and your family always dry your hands completely before touching anything electrical.
- Extension Cords Increase The Risk
Just as overloading can cause a fire, so can using an extension socket. An extension will encourage you to plug in more items than your electrical supply can handle, increasing the risk of fire. But, if you’ve not unrolled the extension cable fully or left wire piled on top of itself, you’ll still be encouraging heat buildup, increasing the likelihood of a fire in your home.
Don’t forget that if you do have a small electrical fire in your home you can use an extinguisher. But, don’t tackle a blaze that is growing rapidly and never use a water extinguisher, foam or powder are the only ones that can be used to put out an electrical fire.