How a mom can create a business from her home
Being a mother is a full-time job. You have children to look after, diapers to change and a million other chores clamoring for your attention. In spite of all this, you may feel a yearning to create your own home-based business independent of your mommy duties.
Starting a business from your home is actually a good idea. Maybe you have a passion you want to explore or are looking for an outlet for all your creative juices. You might also have a full-time office job and are looking for an alternative that will allow you to spend more time with your children. Regardless of your reason, starting a home-based business is something worth looking into.
First of all, realize that there’s nothing wrong with wanting something for yourself as a mother. You are your own person and a business can help you become a better mother and wife. You’ll have something to focus on that can give you a sense of pride and independence. Your business can also grow and bring in additional income to boost your family’s finances. Who wouldn’t want that?
Businesses you can create from home
Before launching your business, you need to have clear goals and plans. You need to have an idea of what you want to do and how to go about doing it. Although there are lots of business ideas suitable for stay-at-home moms, the time and effort required for each will vary.
Some of the business ideas you can explore include:
- Starting your own blog. You can use your blog to document your life as a mother, share your unique perspective on life with the world or promote your business. It can be an excellent marketing tool and can help you feel connected to the outside world.
- Becoming a freelance writer. If you have a way with words, you can look into becoming a freelance writer. The options for these are limitless. You can write content for blogs or websites, write your own books or even edit other people’s work.
- Selling items online. This is a fantastic option if you are good at making handmade items. You can create bespoke home made goods such as candles, mats or even artwork and sell them on sites such as Etsy. Alternatively, you can buy items and sell them at a profit on EBay or any other similar sites online.
- Working as a virtual assistant. Your duties as a virtual assistant will vary depending on the person you work for. In some cases your duties will include booking appointments, making travel arrangements, responding to emails and various other tasks.
- Working as a tutor. This type of job is relevant to school teachers or those with a background in education. You don’t have to limit yourself to school subjects though as you can also hold dancing classes or teach children and adults how to play instruments, paint, etc.
These are just a few businesses you can start from home. You don’t have to restrict yourself to these ones. You can turn any interest you have into a business if you have the will to do it. For instance, there are women who have turned dog walking into a business that earns them lots of cash every month. So there really are no limits.
Marketing your business
Once you launch your business, you’ll need to figure out a way to draw in clients. One of the best ways of marketing your services is by using social media. You can advertise what you do on Facebook, Twitter or even Instagram. The latter is especially useful for those involved in creative projects such as knitting, painting, etc.
You can also decide to have face-to-face meetings with your clients. This method has the advantage of being more personal than advertising on social media. You can reach out to clients at networking events, cocktails or at more informal events such as neighborhood parties. Hand out business cards to interested parties in order to make your business seem more professional. If you are unsure on where to print business cards, a quick search online should yield positive results. For instance, an online search for creative business cards in the Philippines will bring up companies that specialize in designing or printing professional cards for your business.
Remember that a home-based business can give you the freedom to control your time as well as the flexibility to command your income (in some cases). Who knows, your business might even grow and expand to a point where you’ll need to move into an office and hire staff to help. Keep working at it because you never know where it will lead. Others have made a success of their home businesses and you too can do the same.
Badet Siazon says
Great tips mare! Ibig sabihin lang nyan, pag gusto may paraan. There are plenty of ways to earn money, even when you’re at home. 🙂
Jojo Vito says
these are good tips for moms who would want to earn a little more while at home 🙂
Franc Ramon says
Writing can really be a good home career. It can also keep you sharp and learn new things.
Andrew Olano says
Yup. There are so many ways to make money now online and it can be lucrative to especially to stay at home moms. It is challenging at first but once you get the hang of it, it can actually be a “career” to some.
While being a mom is a full time job, it would be nice to also have a part time job 😀
Jhake o. says
I was thinking of putting up an online shop. Nag-iipon muna ako ng lakas ng loob.
Thanks for this post!
Mommy Levy says
go for it 🙂