How to Prevent and Treat Prickly Heat or Bungang Araw
My poor son Ren, because of the very hot weather, he is now suffering from prickly heat or locally known as “bungang araw” . At first, I thought that he only has prickly heat on his neck, but the other day, I noticed him scratching his forehead repeatedly and I was surprised to see that he also have some prickly heat on his forehead as well.
I didn’t noticed it before because he has long hair. I searched the web on some ideas and tips on how to Prevent and Treat Prickly Heat or Bungang Araw and here are some of the things I found.
They said the prickly heat can be prevented by doing the following:
- Bathe everyday
- Wear light breathable clothing
- Have a towel around to dry sweat from skin
- Keep your baby in cool, well-ventilated rooms, or limit exposure to the sun
He is taking a bath everyday, and he even soak in a drum or swim in his inflatable pool for an hour, so I was surprised that he still got bungang araw. He only wears white sando inside the house. We even avoid going out the house so that we will not be exposed to the sun. That is why I was surprised that he still has gotten prickly heat.
Things I do to treat it:
- As of now, we are using an anti-bacterial soap to ease the itchy feeling and to dry those red bumps.
- I asked my mom to buy Cornstarch, and I am putting a little amount of powder on his neck and forehead after he takes a bath. Yeah I know that’s old school but it worked before on us so I hope it will still work now.
- I told him not to scratch his forehead and neck. He complies naman (of course I need to constantly remind him). Also, I already cut his nails for that matter.
- Some said that we need to avoid applying lotions and creams as these can lead to infections and allergies, so I am not using any thing as of now.
I will re-evaluate his skin condition after 2 days and if there are no changes, I think I will let the doctor check him.
Owen ponce says
Thanks for sharing wonderful tips , really timely
cornstarch lang po?
Mommy Levy says