Looking back, sharing my postpartum experience!
For the new moms out there, I just want to share my experience after my unexpected early delivery of my son. I want to share this because everything I expected to happen did not happen when my due date of delivery came in advance. I hope you will learn some lessons from this short story of mine.
3 years ago, I delivered a bouncing baby boy at Manila Doctors Hospital. My husband just texted my boss and other office mates to tell that I am on my way to the delivery room and that they will not see me for the past two months. I haven’t filed my vacation leave yet since it is still too early for the expected date of my delivery. Everything happened so fast. Yes we already have a baby’s cloth, mittens, covers, bed, stroller etc. unfortunately all the things I have mentioned was not washed yet since we are not expecting that the baby will come early. My sister in law, while I am already in labor and experiencing so much pain, got all my sons new clothes and washed them all. My neighbor, who has a 4 months old baby girl lent us her daughter’s cover up.
While I am already at the hospital, my mom texted my aunt who is in the province to go back to Manila ASAP to clean the entire house while we were still at the hospital. I thank God my Aunt and my mom was there to help me since I didn’t know that giving a baby’s bath is not that simple as I thought it was. Also I am grateful they were there to take care of my son while I slept during the day. They where also the one who cooks nutritious foods so that I will have a healthy breast milk to give to Ren.
Looking back, I can’t imagine myself if I will be all alone during my postpartum. Without the help of these people I don’t know what will happen to me and to my baby. So, for new moms out there here are some advices from me:
1. Always be prepared – I already bought clothes of my baby but did not wash them thinking that my due date is still far which makes me still unprepared for it.
2. Clean the house or baby’s room – Since I was still working even though my tummy is already big, I don’t have time to clean the house thoroughly. And since I am not expecting that my baby will go out early I didn’t ask someone to clean it for me. So, it’s better to clean the house or baby’s room always but it doesn’t mean it should be you, ask your husband or someone else to do it.
3. Look for people that will give you an extra hand – as much as I want to be always at my baby’s side, I still need to get lots of sleep since I am always awake during the night because I need to breast feed the baby. So, having someone to take care of the baby during day time is really a big help.
4. Enjoy Motherhood but still don’t forget your hubby – I am guilty that at the first few weeks of my son in the house, I am so attached to him that I almost forgot I have a husband to attend to also. So, having time together that just you and your husband for a date will not make you a bad mom.
5. Don’t forget to take care of yourself – You will be able to take care of your son more if you are happy, stress and worry free. That is why proper exercise, a healthy diet and some salon time is quite needed to freshen a new mom.
what ever happens in life we should always remember to live life to the fullest