Fun Activities to Play When Stuck in Traffic
It’s raining hard these past few days. Last week we went to “the Farm” at Pililia Rizal to attend a feast and a birthday party. It’s a good thing that it was Sunday and although it was raining hard, we didn’t encounter a lot of traffic areas besides the one at Ever Gotesco in Pasig.
With us were 3 kids in the car, my son likes to look around when travelling and he is satisfied with it. Unfortunately, he gets irritated easily when the car stops. Since he likes to eat, I gave him some biscuits to take his attention away from the traffic.
Being stuck in a traffic is easier when you are alone since you can entertain yourself quickly like listening to radio, singing and day dreaming. If you have other people with you especially young kids, the traffic jam can make them cranky and irritated. Having a gadget to play with might help but we can also turn this time into a family bonding activity which is better.
Here are some interactive activities I can think of that you and your kids can do when you are stuck in traffic.
1. Sing a Song- This is the easiest activity that you can do. Pick up a favorite song and then sing together. Just like my niece needed to memorize a song for her assignment, she and her mom reviewed the song and they both had fun doing it together.
2. ABC Game- At home, my son and I play this and I think it can be done in the car too. All you have to do is think of any word that starts with the letter A next B all the way up to Z. We usually do 5 words per letter to make the activity longer and to help them use their cognitive skills.
3. Spelling Game- Ask the children to spell a word and give points to the one who got it correct.
4. Find a word- Look around and ask the children to find the word/sign that you will say. My brother and sister liked this game when we were younger (well, up until now)
5. Name that tune/TV Commercial/Movie/Show- The game “name that tune” is a classic and can be very entertaining. Someone will just sing a song and stop, the others will then guess what is the missing lyrics of the song. For TV Commercial/Movie or TV Show, someone will give some clues and the others will guess what is the name of the TV commercial/Movie or TV Show based on the clues.
Hope these activities will be a hit to your youngsters. Can you suggest some other activities you and your kids can do other than the things I have mentioned above. Please share it with us.
Thanks for the tips. I find travelling long distances with kids in a car can be trying at the best of times.