5 Things I Learned from reading The Broken Mirror Book by Coylee Gamboa
I attended the book launch of Broken Mirror, Inside a Chinese Marriage by Aurora Teo Mei Ling and Coylee Gamboa last week at Manila Grand Opera Hotel. I am more of a self-help/ inspirational book worm than a romance /fictional one, but there’s something about this book that made me curious about. I want to know why they said that it’s intriguing and gives insight into a topic seen as taboo in the Philippines.
I have a lot of Fil-Chinese friends, but I have little knowledge about the traditional or those who originally came from China.
At the launch, we were intrigued to know who is the person behind the story. They used the name Aurora to hide the real person and her family. It looks like they are wealthy because huge amounts of money were mentioned too.
That curiosity about her story made me finish the book in just 2 days. It was a roller coaster ride reading the book. I found myself afraid for her safety, angry for what happened to her, sad, surprised and a lot more.
About Broken Mirror:
In this book, Aurora Teo Mei Ling dares to tell the story of the breakup of her marriage, what went on in her life as she reaches out worldwide to other women in similar circumstances. Her message to them is — you’re not alone and never give up your dreams! It is written by Aurora Teo Mei Ling and Coylee Gamboa, former financial markets editor of the Asian Wall Street Journal in Hong Kong.
This is a very interesting book and I want you to purchase one and read it so I’ll not spoil you about the story. I’ll just share some things I learned from reading it.
5 Things I Learned from Reading The Broken Mirror Book by Coylee Gamboa
- Don’t Rush into Marriage – I believe that you need to know the person you want to be with for the rest of your life. It’s not enough that you know his name, you should meet his/her family, learn more about his friends and his whole well being.
- Don’t Trust Easily – This is hard to do because I believe there’s a good thing in every person, but we should be aware that there are some circumstances that makes them bad too. We just need to be careful whom to give our trust to.
- Don’t depend on your husband’s income – My mom always tells me to not depend on my husband’s income. That I should have my own money and I appreciate that lesson even more after I read this book.
- Strengthen your relationship with God- Make God the center of your relationship. Make an effort to know Him and be holy.
- Respect yourself – You should have high respect of yourself and don’t let anybody abuse you.
I posted a question on Mommy Levy’s Facebook account that is related to this book. I asked my readers if they will stay in a LOVELESS marriage for the kids and for the money.
One of the answers I agree with is from Peachy Adarne, she said ” Nope, I don’t think I can stay in a marriage that’s making me miserable. I don’t want my children to grow up thinking it’s okay to live life that way. I’ll just demand for child support after the separation”.
In the end, Aurora’s message to other other women in similar circumstances was “you’re not alone and never give up your dreams!”
Broken Mirror is now available in all Fully Booked store outlets. Grab a copy now.