Discover 5 Fascinating Facts About Vietnam That Will Amaze You!
Despite not being considered a top-tier country by some, Vietnam is gradually gaining popularity as a travel destination. This beautiful country has much to offer for travelers, including pristine islands, stunning beaches, delectable cuisine, intriguing cultural experiences, and fascinating history. The great nation of Vietnam is waiting for you to discover all its wonders! If you’re still not sure, here are seven intriguing facts about this country that may surprise you!
1. Did you know the lotus flower is Vietnam’s national flower? This aquatic plant is widely grown throughout the country and is known for its unique features. The lotus grows in muddy ponds and has waterproof, floating leaves. The beautiful flowers rise above the water’s surface to soak up the sun, emitting a pleasant fragrance. It’s no wonder the lotus is such a beloved symbol in Vietnam.
2. In Vietnam, teachers are highly respected and valued. Unlike some Western countries where the teaching career is undervalued, Vietnam celebrates its teachers with a national day dedicated to them.
Vietnamese Teacher Day is held annually on November 20th, where students express gratitude and respect to their teachers. Schools celebrate this day with fun activities such as singing and dancing, and with recitals, sports, and exhibitions. It is also a common practice for alumni to visit their former teachers at their homes and bring gifts and flowers to show their appreciation.
3. Vietnam has various ethnic groups, 54 of which are recognized by the government. Each group has its own unique language and culture. The majority of the population, about 86%, are Vietnamese (Kinh) who live in the coastal provinces and deltas. The remaining 14%, or approximately 8.5 million people, reside in mountainous and highland regions from North to South. These minority groups have limited infrastructure, healthcare, and education access, relying mainly on agriculture and thus contributing to the national economy.
4. Vietnamese cuisine is renowned for its diverse flavors and endless variety. Two of its signature dishes, “banh mi”, and “pho”, are now officially recognized by the Oxford Dictionary. Banh mi is a delicious sandwich filled with roasted pork, barbecue or grilled pork, cucumber slices, pickled carrot, cilantro, chili, tomato, or soy sauce. Pho, on the other hand, is a rice noodle soup served with various meat and vegetables, such as cooked beef, beef tendon, beef meatball, bean sprout, and herbs. Pho is traditionally eaten for breakfast, but it’s also enjoyed at any time of the day.
5. Free WiFi everywhere! One of the benefits of living in major cities is the availability of reliable WiFi networks. Most coffee shops, hotels, and fast food franchises offer free access to the Internet. Even the main walking streets have WiFi access. If you encounter a password-secured network, ask the staff for the password, as no extra charges will be applied.
Vietnam is a country full of excitement that offers adventure to every traveler, so if you are thinking about your next holiday escape, this country will be perfect for you. Visit [iVisa] and find everything you need to know to get your [Vietnam eVisa] in just a few steps!