6 Benefits we get from Solving Jigsaw Puzzles
During last year’s Covid19 pandemic and lockdown, everyone was forced to stay at home. Everyone had too much time on their hands and was able to take up new and reminisce old hobbies. Everyone who was almost too busy with school or work suddenly had too much time, and now they can finish those puzzles stored on their cabinets, that they’ve been meaning to finish. It took the focus off from what was happening and was a good distraction from the chaos the pandemic has caused.
Jigsaw puzzles are one of those games or activities that can transcend from school age to adulthood. As children, we were fascinated by how such small pieces of cardboard, when formed and attached together, show a beautiful bright picture when finished. It gives us a great sense of pride and accomplishment when we finish a puzzle. That’s the reason why even as adults, some people carry on with their love and interest in solving jigsaw puzzles. Here are some benefits we get from solving jigsaw puzzles:
- Puzzles are good for the brain. They aid in the development of visual-spatial processing, critical thinking skills and attention to detail. It improves short-term memory retention and problem-solving ability. Puzzles also improve concentration and mental speed. Studies have also suggested that spending at least 25 minutes a day by solving puzzles and riddles can raise your IQ by 4 points.
- Doing puzzles exercises both the left and right sides of the brain – the left side of the brain is for logical reasoning while right side is for creativity and imagination. While doing puzzles, both sides of the brain communicate and work together, strengthening the connections between brain cells, therefore increasing cognitive abilities.
- There have been studies that show people who solve jigsaw puzzles have less chances of acquiring memory loss, dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. According to a study, puzzles stimulate the brain and prevent the plaque which is the marker of Alzheimer’s. While those diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s are given simple jigsaw puzzles for their mental exercises, as a way to reduce the amount of brain cell damage that occurs in patients.
- Solving jigsaw puzzles relieves stress and anxiety. It helps the brains relax, from being in “Beta” or awake state, to “Alpha” or relaxed state. It is similar to the state when we are dreaming and have the same benefits of meditating. This sense of peace and tranquillity helps in lowering blood pressure and heart rate.
- It also detaches people from too much dependence on smart gadgets, cell phones and television. it provides an alternative from the stress of today’s digital lifestyle.
- Jigsaw puzzles are great bonding tools for families and friends. It encourages productivity, cooperation and teamwork among those trying to solve it.
With jigsaw puzzles, you get to enjoy and exercise your brain at the same time. For your jigsaw puzzle needs, you can shop for different design of puzzles here. They also offer “create your own puzzle” with your very own customized puzzle.
Mary Rose Orbinar says
Seriously, I’m not really good at solving jigsaw puzzles. I find it really hard to fix the bigger puzzles with smaller pieces! I was really thinking to myself that I am an impatient one. But will try to make my kids love this activity! Great bonding for us and most especially is that it will develop their values and it is indeed a good brain exercise.
Elizabeth Lastrella says
One of my favorite activity is solving jigsaw puzzle or any puzzle for that matter. It helps my brain to work and not idle. It also makes my memory vivid. It also one activity to less my boredom inside the house especially during the quarantine.
shala vidad says
Since highschool ako naglalaro din ako ng jigsaw puzzle. Then ngayon na may anak na ako binibilhan ko din sya ng mga jigsaw and minsan ako din ang naglalaro ? Madami din benefits ang paglalaro ng jigsaw lalo na sa brain and memory skills natin. At bonding nadin natin with our chikitings habang naglalaro ❤️❤️
Winnie L. Cruz says
Mommy gusto ko po yan naalala ko po ung binibili kong puzzle na tag piso po nakakalibang din po talaga sya magandang activity din po lalo nat hinde po tayo nakakalabas po lalo nadin para sa mga bata po.. ❤️❤️❤️