10 Home Based Jobs Ideas for Pinoy Moms to Earn Extra
I decided to be a stay at home mom when my son was just 3 years old. The main reason was because it was so hard to get a reliable and trustworthy kasambahay to take care of him, plus he was diagnosed with Autism. My husband and I were not comfortable of the thought that he and the yaya will go out alone to attend therapy sessions.
When we checked all the pros and cons if I will continue with my career or not, my husband and I mutually decided that I will just stay home so that I could properly take good care of my son.
But I was contemplating with the idea too because before I decided to get married, I told myself that I will continue to be a career woman. My mom raised me and my siblings all by herself. She taught us a valuable lesson that women should learn not to depend on their husbands to support for the financial need of the family. As much as possible the woman of the house should also have their own income even how small they are. It was hard to let go of my career especially since I just got a promotion at that time , but still my son’s needs are more important.
That is why even if I stayed at home, I looked for ways to have my own source of income. First we had a computer shop, but we decided to close it because the location is not that good. Then I became a popcorn distributor, school stuff distributor, I sell bags and cosmetics and a lot more.
Mommies in today’s generation are lucky that there are a lot of options to choose from beside the usual “sari-sari store” idea to be able to earn from the comforts of their home.
To give you an idea here are 10 Home Based Job Ideas for Moms to Earn Extra.
1. TUTORING – If you like to teach kids then you might consider this job. I am not a teacher in profession, I don’t have an Education Diploma but I was able to teach kids in the neighborhood and earn from it. It all started when one of our neighbor found out that I home schooled my son and perhaps noticed how I made teaching fun and entertaining. This person referred me to her friends who are looking for a tutor, then through word of mouth, from 1 kid I was able to get 4 kids to teach. The price range usually is around P4,000+/month per kid.
2. BAKING – I have a lot of mommy friends who make this skill into a business. All you need to have is an oven, baking utensils and ingredients to start off. If you don’t have any idea on how to bake, don’t worry because there are a lot of videos in YouTube to teach you how. I already tried baking but I haven’t tried selling them. My friend was able to raise her 2 kids through selling her baked goodies (check her works here – https://www.facebook.com/cupcakebabies.bydyann)
If you have a good location you can sell freshly baked pandesal or ensaymada in your neighboorhood. If not, don’t worry you can offer it online through social media. You can offer personalized cakes, brownies, cookies and more.
3. SELLING EASY TO COOK FOOD – My Kumare Peachy of thepeachkitchen.com started a home negosyo with a local brand who manufacture Tocino, Longganisa, Ham, Hotdog etc. She said that it was a hit in her neighborhood. Pinoys love to eat rice for breakfast and the above mentioned food are the usual thing on the table together with egg and coffee.
4. BEING A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT – I also have a lot of mommy friends who do this job. All you need is a laptop or smart phone and a reliable internet. Virtual assistants are in nowadays, the usual clients are people in the first world countries who need someone to help them with managing their schedule, keeping records, make a presentation etc. In layman’s term their work is the same with the office secretary (except making coffee). A Virtual Assistant earns an average salary of PHP 240,000 per year
5. BE A LOADING STATION – I have a neighbor who do this home business that is tied up with her sari-sari store. All you need is a mobile phone, a retailer SIM card, and around P500–P1000 as starting balance. I did this kind of business too. My usual customers are my family hahaha. As an e-load retailer, you get your earnings through commissions. The percent commission per Telecom Company ranges from 3% to 13%.
6. BE A BLOGGER – You can’t earn right away in doing this, but if your passion is telling and sharing stories, then you might want to try blogging. When you have a spot in the internet world, some international companies will ask for their links to be included in your articles. The payment ranges from $10 to $200 depending on the rank of your site. Local companies on the other hand sometimes need bloggers to attend their events and blog about it. They sometimes give bloggers loot bags with their products, Gift Certificates and Cash.
7. BE A RESELLER – Some of my mommy friends do this business. One has a supplier of Korean beauty products. This thing is in for those who don’t want to shell out for a regular bottle of their fave Korean items. What they do is to buy a sample of this expensive items from the reseller first. What’s nice with sampler items is that if it’s not right for your skin, you can easily switch to another brand, no need to finish the whole bottle. You might want to join her group here – https://www.facebook.com/groups/mommymili/
Some of my friends resell clothes or stuff online. A lot of people nowadays prefer buying stuff they need online because it will save them time and they will be able to avoid traffic in the metro.
8. SELL COOKED FOOD – If you are a great cook, then offer your dishes to the neighborhood. This is a hit in our subdivision because some of my neighbors are so busy that they decided to just buy cooked food than do it themselves. I for one is a “suki” in this business. For breakfast, I sometimes buy sopas, spaghetti, pansit or lugaw from our neighbor.
9. T-SHIRT PRINTING -This is my sister’s business. She has a day job and do this thing to earn more. All you need to invest is a silk screen machine or a heat press machine. Just search more about this business in the internet to give you an idea.
10. PARTY PLANNER – If you are creative and you love looking at Pinterest, then being a party planner might work for you. Almost all the parties now are made online, you don’t need to have an office to do this thing. You just need a Facebook page or a website to advertise your business. Perhaps to increase your portfolio, you can start by doing this for your relatives and friends.
… and a lot more! You can offer baby sitting, be a personal shopper, data encoding, make up artist, photographer etc. Just look for your skills or learn to do one and earn from it.
Doing any of these jobs is hard at first, but when you get used to it then you will find it easy. But the real goal is to make cash work for you so I suggest to also invest your earnings to stocks or to get a mutual fund for it to earn more. My 9 year old son has one, his earnings from his YouTube channel goes directly there. Cool right?