Do you immediately give antibiotic to a sick kid?
An antibiotic is given for the treatment of an infection caused by bacteria. Antibiotics target microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and parasites. If antibiotics are overused or used incorrectly there is a risk that the bacteria will become resistant – the antibiotic becomes less effective against that type of bacterium. (via www.medicalnewstoday.com)
For my son, I usually wait for 2 to 3 days of him being sick before I bring him to the doctor. During these days, I just usually give him organic products like plenty of water, calamansi juice, yakult and Dr. Gerry’s Coco Nectar.
If after 2-3 days and I feel that there is no improvement or if there is any more problems that arise then that is the only time I panic and bring him to his pediatrician immediately.
That is exactly what we did a while ago. I brought him to the nearest pediatrician in our area (not his regular pediatrician) to check him. His regular pediatrician is only available at Manila every Monday, while she will be at Alabang Medical Center every Wednesday. I can’t wait for Wednesday anymore so I looked for the nearest clinic in our area and found one Doctor at Springville Clinic here in Molino Cavite.
She gave Ren an antibiotic (Augmentin by Glaxo SmithKline P335.00) and an anti-hestamine for Ren’s cold (Cetirizine by Pediatrica Inc P246.25).
How about you what is your style? Do you immediately bring your kid to the doctor or just like me that you wait for 2 or 3 days?
I hope Ren will get better soon because his midterm exam is near.
Thank you to all who prayed for him 🙂
Kim | Mom On Duty says
We usually wait 2-3 days as well before we bring my kids to the doctor. While we let the fever/cold run its course, we load them up with water and vitamin C. Our pedia does not recommend giving the kids antibiotics so usually, she only prescribes medicine for the fever then plenty of liquids and rest for the colds/coughs. Start lang ng antibiotics pag more than a week na. 🙂
I am first time Mommy and my baby is turning 9mos old this month but what I usually do is to rely on his previous prescription. I give him cetirizine, meds for colds then nebulizing him. I’ll check if he becomes better, if not then we’ll meet Docky. I also wait usually 3 days before going to pedia unless hinihingal sya because of cough. =)
Mommy Pehpot says
my greatest fear is fever.. so a 24 hour, non stop fever means an ER trip or a visit to the pedia.
if it is not (coughs or anything else) we just let it pass (or treat it with oregano)
Mommy Levy says
ay oo naman pag 24 hours na at non stop ang fever ER na yan. Buti di pa nangyayari kay Ren yun, ang hirap lang pag malayo sa kabihasnan
If it’s the little boy, we just usually give paracetamol then let the fever run its course. We’re more cautious though when it comes to Jade. We take her to the hosp once her fever reaches 39 or does not go below 38. We definitely don’t want to deal with another seizure episode.
Same as you though, we never give antibiotics without a doctor’s prescription. 🙂
Hope Ren feels better soon! Hugs!
Mommy Levy says
pag asa 38 na fever ni Ren wala na kaming tulugan.
Ralyn Serra says
My little girl have sipon and ubo now. Xyzal at Meptin gamit nya Mommy. Hopefully gumaling na sya in 3days time. Buti wala naman sya fever.