We have a unique and one of a kind child
- He can’t fully express his needs and wants but he can read very well compared to other children his age. He started reading at the age of 2. Now he can read sentences, my magazines and his dad’s comic books but we are still working on his comprehension.
- He wants to play with other kids and be around with them but he doesn’t know how to interact and show his feelings yet. He tries his best to talk with other kids, but he can’t make it spontaneous. That is why he is undergoing a group social skills session to help him cope up with this challenge.
- It may seem that sometimes he is not listening to you but he is sensitive and really knows what you are talking about.
- He doesn’t like loud music much, but he loves to sing and dance.
- He doesn’t know how to hurt anybody intentionally. There are instances that he was the one being bullied since he doesn’t know how to react when hurt (yet) but our team – his Occoupational therapist and Speech therapist is already working on that.
- He whines if asked to do something and he doesn’t want it… yet he still follow your command. But then again, most children don’t follow their parents as well.
- He loves to eat vegetables, whether it’s brocolli, okra, cauliflower, kangkong, sayote and even raw carrots he loves them all. It makes him unique since most kid doesn’t like it.
- He loves to be hug. He would not go to sleep without asking us to hug him tightly.
- He has the cutest smile that make a gloomy day brighter.
Those are just few things that make Ren unique.
After two years of being married, we asked God for a child of our own and then Ren came to our life after my husband and I completed the Simbang Gabi, and we are really blessed to have him. He may be delayed in some aspects of his growing years but I know and believe that he will catch up soon… very very soon.
Just like the movie “Happy feet“, he may be different from all the others but with that he will be great in his own special way.
At first, I don’t know why God has chosen us to be his parents because I don’t know if we can handle the responsibility but now I know that He has His reasons and He knows what’s best for us. I am thankful that we are Ren’s parents and we are very blessed to have him.
My son’s uniqueness teaches us a lot of things. I learned how to be direct to the point in talking, since Ren would not understand us if we will use jargon words . I learned to be compassionate with other people, I learned to control my temper and be patient and most of all I learned to give love unconditionally.
Before, I imagined Ren being a Pilot, or a great cook like his Grandfather but now I learned that he will be what God wants him to be and not what we want him to become.
I am thankful that I can see all his journeys, since I am already a stay at home mom. I am glad I am with him to help and guide him when he fails and to celebrate all his achievements no matter how big or small they are.
I love my son uniqueness, and we will forever love and protect him whatever happens. In our eyes, Ren is God’s perfect creation.
Ren was diagnosed with ASD – Autism Spectrum Disorder when he was 2 years old and 10 months and from then on he is undergoing Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Social Group Session.
Amy G. Tagle says
Good day po, I am Mrs. Amy Tagle from Francisco Homes Bulacan with a 4 year old son diagnosed with mild ASD. He’s undergoing OT for now and in his 12th session therapy, twice a week ang OT nia. Ask ko lang po and I know you can be of help, how can I manage my son’s tantrums? Last Sunday po kasi, Oct 28, 2018 my son cried a lot from church until we got home. One man got annoyed on us so I decided to get my son out inside the church but then he kept on crying. My son can’t speak clearly what’s wrong with him or what is painful on him. Please help me how to manage this kind of behavior he made so that next time it happened I can be of help to my child. Thank you and God bless
Mommy Levy says
you did the right thing mommy (bring him outside the church). Maybe may nag trigger sa kanya para sya umiyak, either masyadong malakas ang sounds, maraming tao, mainit etc. I suggest to contrinue bringing him to the church, pero don kayo sa area na madali lumabas in case umiyak sya. Kailangan nya masanay sa ingay, sa tao and sa init. Perhaps try to cover his ears when he cries para malaman nyo kung sa sounds ba yun nag trigger. Pasuotin sya ng comfy outfit pag mainit or stay sa may electric fan.
Maraming salamat po sa blog na ito. Nakakabuhay po ng loob while reading your post about your son. I’m also starting the journey with my 2yrs & 2mos old son. We just came from this pedia dev today and he was assessed with Global Developmental Delay w/ features of autism spectrum disorder. Mommy Levy, if I may ask meron po ba kayong list social group sessions? Thank you very much and God bless you and your family!
Mommy Levy says
usually mommy yung mga therapy centers may social group sessions naman sila. Check mo sa malapit sa’yo 🙂 Good luck in your adventure, kaya yan!
G’day and thank you for sharing this. I found your blog whilst searching for schools in the Cavite area.
This has hit so close to home as I do have a four-year-old diagnosed with ASD as well. And the 9 points you’ve listed (that make Ren unique), it describes so closely my own son ‘C’ and his mannerisms…. except for number 7. He’s a bit of a challenge when introduced to new type of food apart from what he’s already accustomed to. ‘C’ does love drinking water, though. 😉
When I first found out about my son’s condition, I was shattered to the point of tears. I’ve quickly learned to accept it and cannot think of my lad any differently now. His mum and I love him to bits and give him hugs every chance we get. Thanks again for your posts!
Mommy Levy says
Let’s have a virtual hug Mick 🙂
You are the perfect parents for your unique son! I am sure that God gave him to you because he knows that you and your husband are what he exactly needs and deserve! God bless you and your family more 🙂
Ang guwapo ni Ren sa photo! You are indeed lucky parents, and for that I’m sure Ren will be able to realize all his potentials. You have been so good to him. 🙂
sigrid @ lovingly mama says
Mommy what a heartwarming story. Indeed Ren is unique and I can’t argue with him as having the cutest smile! God bless you mommy and your whole family. And may Ren respond fast and actively to therapy. 😀
Teresa Martinez says
I know it hasn’t been easy for you but I commend you and Noel for being very good parents by being very supportive of Ren. He is very fortunate to have you both. Keep the faith.