We have a unique and one of a kind child
- He can’t fully express his needs and wants but he can read very well compared to other children his age. He started reading at the age of 2. Now he can read sentences, my magazines and his dad’s comic books but we are still working on his comprehension.
- He wants to play with other kids and be around with them but he doesn’t know how to interact and show his feelings yet. He tries his best to talk with other kids, but he can’t make it spontaneous. That is why he is undergoing a group social skills session to help him cope up with this challenge.
- It may seem that sometimes he is not listening to you but he is sensitive and really knows what you are talking about.
- He doesn’t like loud music much, but he loves to sing and dance.
- He doesn’t know how to hurt anybody intentionally. There are instances that he was the one being bullied since he doesn’t know how to react when hurt (yet) but our team – his Occoupational therapist and Speech therapist is already working on that.
- He whines if asked to do something and he doesn’t want it… yet he still follow your command. But then again, most children don’t follow their parents as well.
- He loves to eat vegetables, whether it’s brocolli, okra, cauliflower, kangkong, sayote and even raw carrots he loves them all. It makes him unique since most kid doesn’t like it.
- He loves to be hug. He would not go to sleep without asking us to hug him tightly.
- He has the cutest smile that make a gloomy day brighter.
Those are just few things that make Ren unique.
After two years of being married, we asked God for a child of our own and then Ren came to our life after my husband and I completed the Simbang Gabi, and we are really blessed to have him. He may be delayed in some aspects of his growing years but I know and believe that he will catch up soon… very very soon.
Just like the movie “Happy feet“, he may be different from all the others but with that he will be great in his own special way.
At first, I don’t know why God has chosen us to be his parents because I don’t know if we can handle the responsibility but now I know that He has His reasons and He knows what’s best for us. I am thankful that we are Ren’s parents and we are very blessed to have him.
My son’s uniqueness teaches us a lot of things. I learned how to be direct to the point in talking, since Ren would not understand us if we will use jargon words . I learned to be compassionate with other people, I learned to control my temper and be patient and most of all I learned to give love unconditionally.
Before, I imagined Ren being a Pilot, or a great cook like his Grandfather but now I learned that he will be what God wants him to be and not what we want him to become.
I am thankful that I can see all his journeys, since I am already a stay at home mom. I am glad I am with him to help and guide him when he fails and to celebrate all his achievements no matter how big or small they are.
I love my son uniqueness, and we will forever love and protect him whatever happens. In our eyes, Ren is God’s perfect creation.
Ren was diagnosed with ASD – Autism Spectrum Disorder when he was 2 years old and 10 months and from then on he is undergoing Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Social Group Session.