Unilab Run United 2 2012 Overview
The 2nd Leg of Unilab Run United was held earlier today, at the Mall of Asia. Despite the rainy weather this morning, it doesn’t stop the runners to go and face the challenges along the way.
I was supposed to run with my son, but unfortunately, he got sick last Friday night and because of the cool weather and some rain showers, I can’t risk bringing him outside early in the morning. I was glad that my niece volunteered to take his place, and run for him.
I registered for 3K category. My niece doesn’t want me to leave her at the Day Care station for kids, so she decided to come along and run with me at 3K dash as well.
|inside the Day Care station|
15 minutes before the gunstart, we had some stretching exercises.
The first 500meter dash was okay, I reached the first 1km at about 5 minutes so I thought I could finish the race in just 15 minutes, unfortunately, I got dehydrated and did not bring a bottle of water with me. The water station is at the 1.5km and I felt that I would not be able to reach it because I got a little bit dizzy already. My husband always reminds me of proper breathing but I forgot all about it during the race. I walked after 1km to be able to reach the water station.
After drinking 2 glasses of water, my strength regained a little. I finished the race in 27 minutes. At least I have beaten my previous record which was 29 minutes (not bad, I think).
My niece who I teased that I might leave her behind during the race, finished it at only 24 minutes (if she did not wait for me, maybe she have finsihed it even earlier).
I went to the 3K Finishers area to claim my finishers kit. I can say that it was well organized compared before.
I was surprised to see walking photographers, who carry their own printer for the photo opps.
I asked my niece if she would like to run again at the 500meter dash and she excitedly said “yes”. She told me that if she can beat me at 3km, then the 500meter dash would be easy peasy.
Well, she was absolutely right! She finished the race in just a few minutes and was even awarded as the 2nd place winner!
COMMENTS and SUGGESTIONS
1. It would be nice if the race bibs and other perks where given on the day the runners registered. Going back to get it at the expo costs time, effort and transportation fees.
2. Compared last March, they have a daycare center now that the children could stay while the parents run. Last March, I was not able to run because I didn’t have anyone to leave my son with. So, the Day Care Center is really a great help.
3. The Organizer (Coach Rio) is on hand on everything. Some runners saw him helping the staffs picking up plastic cups at water stations.
|at CCP Complex|
4. Compared last March, there were lesser trash now. Maybe the runners learned to keep their cups or threw it on the trash cans after the controversial picture that spread after the Earth Day Run.
5. There were more freebies and booths now than RU1.
Overall, Run United 2 was very succesful and fun. The weather even cooperates with us. I was excited to join the third leg of Run United, I hope my niece could join me again.
Runners see you again on September 16th for the Run United 3.