The Family that Facebook together Stays Together!
Do you agree with this?
I saw this ad at a billboard along Edsa the other day. It shows a family with different age range holding different gadgets while they are seating besides each other. For some, this is okay but it is distracting to see for most.
We are now living in a digital world, and this ad shows that being dependent on technology is unavoidable . We can’t deny the fact that communication is easier now. Unfortunately, gadgets and communication devices has it’s ups and down, let me enumerate it with you:
- Communication- it is easier to check out what’s happening with each other now because of availability of skype, celphones and other communication devices readily available. Gone are the days wherein our OFW families and friends need to wait for a week or even a month to be updated on what’s happening at home through letters. To hear each other, they record their messages in casette tapes, which again took a week or even a month to be received.
- Social Networking- you can now find old friends easily and be able to communicate with them again, through the use of different social sites like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.
- 24 Hour Banking – you no longer need to fall in a long line when you pay your bills, you can do it anytime and at the convenience of your own home.
- Online Shopping – in just a click you can buy new clothes or shoes and have it delivered right at your doorstep.
- Availability of information – for assignments, kids just need an internet and a computer to look for the answers to the teacher’s questions. It is more convenient and fast.
- Work from Home- you can work for client abroad even though you just stay home and at your own country.
- Since the internet can be used by anyone, young kids, if not monitored can see easily accessible porn sites and all kinds of violence on the net.
- Most of the kids today, don’t know how to play outside the house anymore, and so, the obesity rate among young children increases. They prefer playing computer games and gadgets at home.
- Cyber bullying is rampant, so watch out who your child talks to or interacts with whenever they are online to avoid this.
- Although online banking makes life easier, there are lots of hackers that may use any information we put on the internet which they can use to get your account.
|from L-R: Albert Cuadrante. Atty. Adel Tamano, Maribel Sison-Dionisio and Audrey Tan Zubiri|
Ms. Audrey Tan-Zubiri said that at their home, they use gadgets and the internet in moderation. Her kids are still young so she doesn’t want them to be in front of any gadgets as much as possible. She doesn’t upload pictures in the net for her husband Miguel Zubiri to see if he is out of town, but instead she preserve that moment and shares the pictures to him when he arrives home.
Ms. Maribel Sison-Dinosio and Atty. Adel Tamano agreed that to avoid kids getting addicted to computers, it is better to encourage them to do something else and parents should spend more quality time with them.
Mr. Albert Cuadrante told us that when he is with his family and not working, he makes sure that all the gadgets are turned off even his cellphone to set an example for the kids so that there will no distractions from their family bonding.
I will talk more about the 2nd Jollibee Family Values Awards 2012 on my next post, so stay tuned.